Importing references into Zotero
If you have the pdf
Simply drag and drop the pdf into your library. The file will be copied to your references folder (see Zotero preferences). The metadata for the paper should auto import, but you will need to check in. Select the reference that was imported and look at the sidebar to the right. Under the Info tab, check and edit the title, author names, journal title, volume, page numbers, and date. You will want to check for things like:
- Capitalization of the article title and journal title.
- Article titles should use same capitalization rules that you use for sentences.
- Journal titles should have each word capitalized.
- Last names and First names are in the correct fields (last name goes in the first box, first name in the second). Use the + to add more authors.
- Double-check volume and page numbers.
- Double-check the year of publication (you only need the year).
Occasionally the metadata does not import. In these cases, you’ll need to enter the info manually. It shouldn’t happen too often.
If you do not have the pdf
Create a new entry by clicking on File menu > New Item and then selecting the type of item (usually Journal Article, though sometimes Book or Book Chapter). This will open the right sidebar and you can enter the info manually, including other info like a link to the website with the article.
Other stuff to do with Zotero
- Select a reference record you’re interested in. Click on and selection “Google Scholar Search”. It should automatically open a browser and do a Google Scholar Search for you.
- When you want to include a reference in a document you are writing there are a few options.
- There is a complex “Cite While You Write” option that requires a Word plugin.
- Cut and paste a reference. Select the reference and go Edit > Copy Bibliography. Then paste into the document you are creating.
- You can also select several records, right-click, and select “Create Bibliography from Items…”. In the pop-up menu, select the right Stylesheet and check “copy to clipboard”. Click OK and paste into the document you are creating.